Friday, August 22, 2014

Aug 22- Good Day of Fishing

Very Nice 22 foot Bay Rider was my Water Whip for the Day... Thanks Capt Tyler Thomas

Ready to SHOCK and AWE the Local King Mackerel Population

Joe A watched 200+ ysrds of 20# mono "melt" of his spool in seconds.... 

Birthday Joe collected a NC Citation False Albacore
Well, it was better than sitting this one out! With the Top Water Boat in Intensive Care, Capt Tyler gave me the keys to his nearly new 22 ft Bay Rider and Joe Alley and I took his friend "the other Joe" fishing for his birthday.... We started off by catching 15 dozen Menhaden for live bait and we quickly took off for the Mackerel Grounds..... As we approached King Mackerel Country, we ran up on a very very active school of frenzied Spanish Mackerel.... Casting was good. Too good. In fact, we were bit off twice when the sharp-eyed Mackerel hit the uni-knot where my shock leader was attached..... This ate up alot of valuable time.... Re-tying leaders and stingsilvers.... The frenzy ended quickly and we only had 2 Spanish Mackerel to show for our efforts... Made me wish we hadn't left the dock at 9am..... Those fish were probably ablaze at 6am and we only caught the last 10 minutes.... Anyway, we went King Mackerel fishing.... That was okay, except one thing was missing..... The King Mackerel! One time I really got fooled! We had a double strike...... Screamers.... Reel Dumpers....... One fish headed north, the other headed south. It was a dilemma..... I was willing to bet my ass that we had a double header of 30+ pound Kings hooked up..... I was glowing. 15 stressful minutes later, Joe A had color! Here we go, but something was wrong. This fish was bulldogging downward and in a tight circle. Unreal. I couldn't believe it when a 33" False Albacore popped up. DAMMIT....... So a couple minutes later Birthday Joe reeled up his 35" False Albacore. This one had 350 yds off the spool at one point.... In my mind, this was a 45+ pound King..... Not just No, but HELL NO...... Sitting dead in the water and lamenting my "bad luck" my anglers were very happy though.... Neither of them had experienced this kind of fight from this kind of fish...... The next 20 minutes was a "Shark Frenzy"..... 4 Sharpnose Sharks and 1 Blacktip Shark. Enough already. The guys were happy though, weird.... Then I ran east. Way east. All the way to Shark Island. Here we found the missing Bluefish. Plenty of them from 1-3 lbs each. Not quite every cast, but still it was great action on stingsilvers.. I saw 2 Crevalle Jacks crash my lure. Somehow they both missed. I saw the jumbo Blue Runners  once and we didn't catch one of them either.... The Shoals were alive with big Blacktips too. The western edge was teeming. We passed them up for some fish dinners though.... All in all it was a good day. Thanks Tyler. Thanks Joe and Joe... Total Catch for the Day: 2 False Albacore at 15 and 17 lbs, 25 Bluefish from 1-3 lbs, 2 Spanish Mackerel at 2 lbs, 4 Sharpnose Sharks from 6-8 lbs, and 1 Blacktip Shark 

No comments: