Thursday, August 14, 2014

Aug 14- Early AM Flounder Rally

Late afternoon scenery was a hint that a good night was ahead

The First Keeper of the Night came from the Hatteras Side

This Flounder came off a tiny, shallow, well lit spot that produces A FLOUNDER 150 Nights per Year
Spending the morning cleaning FISH is always a GOOD FEELING
I hate to add....... Billy sits this one out. Poor guy had no drive last night. He wasn't quivering with anticipation, he wasn't a wide-eyed wonder.... He wasn't chomping at the bit to see what the warm green waters held last night..... There you go! That explains it, maybe Billy is a normal guy just starting out fishing.... Nowhere near MY OBSESSION.... Because, me on the other hand, I couldn't wait... Fishing and Gigging were on my mind all day and all night. We had to make an extra trip due to heavy late night traffic..... So I wasn't free until 230am. First I walked an hour with my gig and light. Nothing. The Ferry Basin was too dirty and the Inlet was too windy. At 330am I was putting a 3" white gulp shrimp on and it was looking bleak.... But THIS IS FISHING and anything can happen.... And this is MARTY MOORE and all I've done for 45 years in FISH.... Well, I cut out my first 4 years, but by the age of 5, I was a TERROR on the Morehead Ocean Pier.... Anyway, casting around the Center Ramp (as usual) was tough due to the wind and huge drifts of white sea foam.... Now, educated people like me (haha) know that Sea Foam actually has its origin from proteins excreted by various plants, animals, fish, and other "life"..... I'm really not educated enough to further explain this.... You Google It, I'm tired! Anyway, so I took it as a Good Sign.... After catching and releasing 4 Flounder that were too small, I actually caught a 16" Southern Flounder. Looking up now, I moved over to the eastern most ramp. In the past 12 years, this ramp has received far less fishing effort from me than the other two ramps.... However, last night it looked different. The way the wind and tide were running, it looked like a great ambush spot.... Then the Foam and Grass was making it hard to fish anywhere else. I walked over to the east ramp and on my first cast I caught a strong, fast, and heavy 19" Southern Flounder. My net was 2 ramps over. No chance of getting it. I took a chance and swung the Flounder up, and out, and over the rail. Awesome! Next cast, wham! a 15" Summer Flounder. Next cast, wham!  Oh no, this was a 3 lb Oyster Toad. Then I made an adjustment. I cast up on a poorly lit, but lit, shoal just beyond the deep water associated with the Ferry Ramp.... Here I found the nest! My next 12 casts resulted in caught Flounders, pulled hooks, or missed bites... Finally, right at 430am, the bite died. Like someone threw a switch. Had they ALL bit my gulp and there were no more Flounder there? Did they stop biting because of some underwater occurrence we'll never understand? Answers we will never have.... Once again, regardless of the small average size, Fishermen want one thing: To catch Fish. Last night, I caught the hell out of some Flounder. I wish Billy would've been there... Total Catch for the Night: 9 Southern Flounder up to 19", 7 Summer Flounder up to 15" and a 3 lb Oyster Toadfish

1 comment:

Jordan said...

You have the night dock fishing nailed down capt