Saturday, August 9, 2014

Aug 9- Rough as a Cobb Bluefish

These girls were a little "leery" of Capt Marty and the Rough Seas

Nice Bucket of Bluefish

Evan takes a turn on another Gallant's Creek Monster

After I took my turn, Stacy finished off the big ole Ray

Very Disappointing, Looking for a Shark

40" Ribbonfish
What Big Teeth you have Grandma

These things never get old!
Evan and his 3 kids fished with me this morning. With a rainy forecast, we saw a window this morning and we grabbed it ! I immediately ran up to the Cape Lookout Shoals where we found great casting action to Bluefish yesterday ... Once we got up there we saw the fish were still there, but as usual, they were in the worst place possible! However, they were also a little more scattered too.... There were also some Spanish Mackerel mixed in as well.... Fishing was great but standing up was difficult and it was "high anxiety action". It was a fish on every cast though. I once hooked 3 Spanish Mackerel in a row. Landed two, even though I dropped the largest one back over the side as I stumbled. Dammit. Another escaped as I lifted it.... Damn, one of three.... After we left the Shoals we ran to Jack Cox's Fish House and on our 2nd bite we actually landed a 75 lb Southern Stingray. The other was probably a Shark, but it dove under the Dock so who knows? After that, our final adventure carried us the the State Port at MHC. Here Evan and crew landed 2 slammer Ribbonfish and that was that! All in all it was a fun and exciting day, but I am sick and tired of East and Northeast Wind! It's August for crying loud .... We keep getting. "October" weather. It sucks. Total Catch for the Day: 24 Bluefish from 1-2 lb 8oz, 5 Pinfish, a 75 lb Southern Stingray, 2 Spanish Mackerel at 1 lb 8oz and 2 lbs, and 2 Ribbonfish at 1 avg and 1 large

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What exactly does "rough as a cob" mean? I've heard that expression used on the coast for years? I know it means the Ocean is rough, but why is the word "cob" used in describing it????