Saturday, August 16, 2014

Aug 17- The End of Good Fishing




Hatteras Side baby Flounder

Gulf Flounder, the rarest of our "big three" Flounders

Gigging Flounders and Wasting Time

Horseshoe Crab on the Run

4 lb Oyster Toadfish. NC has the biggest Oyster Toads on the East Coast
The end of good fishing? I should've said the end of mediocre fishing. It was "interestingly good".... I've seen such incredible fishing at this location. People don't believe me when I first tell the stories. September of 2004. Shew. 28 Flounder in one night. Many between 6lbs and 7lbs. Fish up to 10 lb 6oz. After time, they don't believe me and if I continue to tell the stories, these boys eventually turn on me... I'm a liar! Oh well, who cares. At the end of this week, we will tally up 40 to 50 Flounders. It will be the MOST FLOUNDERS some will ever see caught on rod and reel.... To me, it was just another "fun letdown". I've lived with this for 10+ years.......  So last night, I went straight gigging. It was horrible. I didn't see any Flounders under perfect conditions. Meanwhile, back at the Dock, I'm not sure what the boys caught. Nobody told me anything...... Just funny looks, like a joke had been played on me, that's all I got.... I checked my watch and it just about time for the Flounder bite to start.... Thursday Night-130am.... Friday Night-230am.... Here it was coming up on 330am..... Even though the gigging sucked, I figured I'd catch 5-6 Flounders right quick on jigheads and gulp, just like the past 2 nights...... Unfortunately, my Tub of Gulp was GONE..... XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX XXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.............  I talked about a PATTERN last Blog Entry, remember?  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX  Thus the Flounder, set to chew at 330am had the place to themselves.......... THE END OF GOOD FISHING..... Period. Earlier I caught a few creatures.... Total Catch for the Night: 1 Gulf Flounder, 1 Summer Flounder, and 2 Oyster Toadfish up to 4 lbs

No comments: