Monday, August 11, 2014

Aug 11- FANTASTIC BLUEGILL and BASS FLY FISHING including 2 lb BLUEGILLS

This little Pumpkinseed nearly had me fooled!

The first Largemouth Bass of the day was the Smallest

Changed to the Fly Rod and the REEL FUN Began

Caught 8 of these in One Spot, a Great Bass Rally

Then one bite forever changed the way I think about Beaufort's Freshwater Fishery

The Largest Bluegill of My Fishing Career

Another Giant Beaufort Bluegill

And make it Three Huge Beaufort Bluegills and I had to go!
Man, I couldn't be any happier if this Fishing Report's Title was: 7 Blue Marlins inshore on spinning tackle????? To me, this one, the real one, is nearly as absurd....... How about 3 Bluegill from 12" to 13" and up to 2 lbs on the 3wt Fly Rod and a Dry Fly (tiny Grasshopper imitation) just outside the Beaufort City Limits!  Three Giant Bluegills plus, 12 Largemouth Bass all in less than 30 minutes of Fly Fishing.... It was an INCREDIBLE DAY of FRESHWATER FLY FISHING...... I will not add the usual "by Beaufort, NC standards"..... Hell, it would've been a great day anywhere in North Carolina/ USA/ On Earth! All of this really in less than 30 minutes???? YES.... And yes, I found a new Pond and I am very, very happy! And YES, that makes 2 new Ponds in the past 2 days..... I even have permission to move some of these "Super Bluegills" over to the Mung Hole to try to jump start the genetics over there.....   Earlier in the afternoon I also fished Bud Dan Reservoir. Always a letdown because the size and beauty of that place.... However, I guess it's just too close to North River and is too vulnerable to flooding and salt water immersion....  Whatever the reason, the Fishing is always poor and today was no exception. In 45 minutes today, I caught one baby Pumpkinseed, which caused a lot of initial happiness because I thought it was a baby Redear Sunfish, affectionately called a Shellcracker across the southeast USA.. I was excited because Shellcrackers are the largest member of the Sunfish Family growing to over 5 lbs in select locations! It was not a Shellcracker though, just a Pumpkinseed which resulted in another Beaufort Freshwater Grand Slam for Capt Marty..... Total Catch for the Day: 12 Largemouth Bass including 10 from 2-3 lbs, 3 Bluegills from 1.75 lbs to 2 lbs, and 1 Pumpkinseed

2 comments:

Jordan said...

That is a nice bluegill. Need to get the fly rod back out.

Anonymous said...

Almost looks like a Georgia Giant